Ralph Lauren Shares Progress on Global Citizenship & Sustainability With Fiscal Year 2020 Design the Change Report
Company announces science-based greenhouse gas reduction target and water stewardship collaboration with World Wildlife Fund
Ralph Lauren Corporation (NYSE:RL) has published its fiscal year 2020 (FY20) annual Global Citizenship & Sustainability Report, providing a comprehensive update on its Design the Change strategy. Launched in 2019, Design the Change is a commitment and a journey to accelerate Ralph Lauren’s work to create a positive impact on society and a more sustainable future. This year, the Company deepens its commitment with the addition of new, time-bound goals and partnerships, including the establishment of science-based greenhouse gas reduction target and a collaboration with World Wildlife Fund (WWF) to advance its water stewardship goals.
“The global COVID-19 pandemic and the acceleration of the movement to end racial injustice in America and around the world have powerfully reminded all of us of our responsibility to listen, to learn and to act,” said Patrice Louvet, President and Chief Executive Officer. “We are proud of the progress we have made since the launch of our Design the Change strategy last year and will continue to deepen our work, building on our strategies with clear targets and credible partnerships to effect meaningful change in our business and the wider world.”
The Company will collaborate with WWF to drive progress toward Ralph Lauren’s goal of reducing water use across its operations and value chain by 20% by 2025. Within the first year, this will include an analysis of the Company’s water use, identification of areas of water risk and strategies to decrease consumption and address water quality and other water outcomes across its value chain.
“Public commitments to sustainability drive progress and change. WWF welcomes the ambitious and collaborative sustainability approaches emerging within the fashion and textiles sector, and we are excited to begin this collaborative journey with Ralph Lauren,” said Bridgette McAdoo, Vice President, Freshwater Corporate Strategy at WWF. “As we begin our work together to help address water impacts, we are confident that the Company’s commitment to shared stewardship of water resources will help drive positive change.”
Ralph Lauren’s FY20 report details Company milestones and progress from the past year across three key areas: Create Timeless Style, Protect the Environment and Champion Better Lives. Highlights include:
- Setting a science-based target to reduce emissions across the Company and value chain by 30% by 2030;
- Committing to power owned and operated offices, distribution centers and stores with 100% renewable electricity by 2025;
- Achieving gender parity in our leadership ranks, with women holding 50% of VP level and above positions at the Company;
- Scoring 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index, in recognition of the Company’s work toward ensuring an equitable, inclusive workplace for LGBTQ+ employees;
- Disclosing again the racial and ethnic makeup of our global employee base, with additional recent commitments made to reflect the communities we serve in our leadership and across the entire Company;
- Donating, through the Ralph Lauren Corporate Foundation and our business, more than $7 million toward causes including cancer care and prevention, LGBTQIA+ equity and inclusion and clean water access for underserved communities; and pledging an additional $10 million through the Ralph Lauren Corporate Foundation toward COVID-19 relief.
The FY20 Global Citizenship & Sustainability Report and the 2020 Standards Supplement are available for download on the Company's website.
ABOUT RALPH LAUREN CORPORATION
Ralph Lauren Corporation (NYSE:RL) is a global leader in the design, marketing and distribution of premium lifestyle products in five categories: apparel, footwear & accessories, home, fragrances and hospitality. For more than 50 years, Ralph Lauren’s reputation and distinctive image have been consistently developed across an expanding number of products, brands and international markets. The Company’s brand names, which include Ralph Lauren, Ralph Lauren Collection, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Polo Ralph Lauren, Double RL, Lauren Ralph Lauren, Polo Ralph Lauren Children, Chaps and Club Monaco, among others, constitute one of the world’s most widely recognized families of consumer brands. For more information, go to https://corporate.ralphlauren.com.
Corinna Van der Ghinst